Monday 2 June 2008

Introducing myself


I’m Mark and I’ve been working with Wired In for about two years now. My mother was an alcoholic and my dear Grandparents looked after me. Although they gave me lots of love, I was always attention seeking and looking for affirmation from others. I started experimenting with drugs in my early teens, looking for escapism from life and eventually found that dealing drugs gave me the drugs and attention I was looking for.

 

Years later, I found myself totally controlled by heroin. Eventually I ended up in prison where I was able to come off the drugs. When I was released I ended up relapsing and found myself in despair.

 

I met a great girl, Gemma, who has given me loads of support, and through a DTTO (Drug Testing and Treatment Order) I was given a methadone script. Since then, I have engaged with a number of services who have helped me to stabilise my life.

 

My life has changed dramatically. I am no longer controlled by my addiction. I am currently in the process of reducing off the methadone, although I am taking it nice and slowly so that I can remain stable.

 

My time is filled with volunteering in the substance misuse field. Alongside working with Wired In, I am also working with SMUG (Substance Misuse User Group) as their Caerphilly representative, where I work with individuals and groups who are affected by addiction. I also work with local drug services, such as DRUGAID, to try and progress service user involvement. 

No comments: